University Postcard Collection
Scope and Contents
This collection contains postcards of various buildings and sites related to the campus of Valparaiso University in its many forms. There are postcards dating from the early 1900s, all of the postcards of professors are from the pre-1925 period. The collection also contains postcards either sent or received by known Valparaiso University alumni providing a snapshot into student life on campus.
- 1900 - 2016
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is in accordance with the policies of the Valparaiso University Archives and Special Collections, Valparaiso University.
Conditions Governing Use
Requests to reproduce material from the collection should be directed to the Valparaiso University Archives and Special Collections, Valparaiso University.
Biographical / Historical
The University Postcard Collection has been compiled over time from a variety of sources. The main part of the collection is of buildings around the Valparaiso University campus as it has grown over time. Postcards date from the early 1900s to modern times. The collection contains postcards that were used by students and alumni throughout the years.
2.17 Linear Feet (4 boxes) ; 2 boxes: 6.5 in x 12.5 in x 5 in 2 boxes: 6.5 in x 8 in x 5 in
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged alphabetically by building/theme within four boxes. The fourth box contains oversized postcards as well as souvenir folders.
Box 1: A - COL
- Box 1: A - COL
- Altruria; Alunmi Dormitory; Alumni House; Auditorium; Auditorium - Interior; Bookstore; Brandt/Wehrenberg; Brown Home; Brown - H.B. & H.K.; Butterfly - Caritas; Campus Views; Chapel; College Bell; College Place
Box 2: COM - L
- Box 2: COM - L
- Commercial Hall; Dau-Kreinheder Halls; Deaconess Hall (aka Huegli Hall); Dodge Hall; Domestic Science & Agriculture (DeMotte); East Campus; East Hall; Eiss Hall; Engineering; Entrance; Founders' Rock; Gellersen Hall; Graland Hall; Guild & Memorial Halls; Gymnasium; Heritage Hall; Kinsey; Kroencke Hall; Lankenau Hall; Law Building; Le Bein Hall; Lembke Hall; Library
Box 3: M - Z
- Box 3: M - Z
- Medical Building; Meier Hall; Merlin - Oak Tree; Miscellaneous; Moellering Library; Mound & Columbia Halls; Mueller Hall; Museum Valparaiso University; Music Hall; Neils Science Center; Old College Building; Pennsylvania Rail Road; Professors; Sager's Lake; Scheele Hall; Science Hall; Smoke Memorial Entrance; South Hall Dining; Spindler Hall; Stiles Hall; Student Bridge; Student Groups; Union; Urschel Hall; Valparaiso City; Vineyard Hall - YMCA Hall; Wehrenberg Hall; Wesemann Law Building 1962; Winter Scenes
Box 4: Oversized
- Box 4: Oversized
- Pinhass L. Papish Postcard Collection; Souvenir Folders of Valparaiso, Ind.; Oversized postcards; Miscellaneous Indiana; Chicago; Gary; Springfield, OH
- University Postcard Collection
- In Progress
- Rebecca Ostoyich
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note